Like the rest of the country I am completely hooked on the Great British Bake Off. I have become a huge fan of Mary Berry, she is my baking heroine.
Can you believe she has published over 60 cookery books? I decided I needed to get my hands on one. I know she has a new one out but I was more interested in some of her older ones and was really pleased to come across Fast Cakes, originally published in 1981.
Mary Berry wrote Fast Cakes for baking beginners who want to learn to bake delicious teatime treats, quickly and simply. I think its really important to get the basics right and I can't think of anyone better than Mary to teach me.
To start with I made Mary's Fast Victoria Sandwich. Not only is this super speedy to make but there's no fancy ingredients, so I was able to make it with the basics I already had in the cupboard.
It takes just 5 minutes to make and 25 mins to bake.
100g Stork margarine
100g caster sugar
2 large eggs
100g self-raising flour (sieved)
Tsp baking powder
Icing sugar for sprinkling
- Grease and line two round cake tins and heat the oven to 180°.
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl and mix using an electric whist until combined (takes about 2 mins).
- Divide between the two tins and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Leave to cool on wire racks
- When completely cool sandwich together with strawberry jam and sprinkle with icing sugar.
This was so simple and absolutely scrummy!